K - 8th Grade Programs
St. Michael School is a member of the Catholic School League. Students from grades 5-8 may participate in the following sports: volleyball, basketball, and track/field. Students must adhere to the following conditions to be able to participate:
1. The student must have the Catholic School League waiver form completed prior to the beginning of the first practice of that particular sport by a parent/ guardian.
2. The student must have a current physical that has been completed within a year of his/her participation.
3. A student who does not maintain a “C” average or better during the quarter will be placed on academic probation. During academic probation the student must pass tests/quizzes with a “C” or better, complete all homework assignments, and raise the subject area grade. The teacher(s) will evaluate the student’s progress at the end of each week throughout the duration of the sport.
4. Students wishing to participate in a sport and carries a “D” average on his last report card in any of the major subjects will automatically be placed on academic probation as stated in #3.
5. If a student carries an “F” in any of the major subjects in the previous quarter report card will automatically be ineligible to participate in the sport.
6. Any student disgracing the school at home, a visiting site or in the bus will be reported to the principal for disciplinary action.
Participation in activities through participation in various activities are encouraged as a means of developing the total responsibility of the student and his/her various individual talents. Some of these activities are:
1. Science Fair, Spelling & Geography Bees, Math Counts
2. Junior Police Officer Program/Drill Team (grades 5-8)
3. Catholic School League Sports Program (grades 5-8)
4. School Choir (grades 2-8)
5. Children Parish Ministries (altar servers, church choir, youth groups, etc…)
6. Student Council Officers & Representatives
7. Grandparents Day, St. Francis Day, Christmas Program, May Day, etc…
After Care Program
An After Care program licensed by the State of Hawaii Department of Human Services is provided on school days from 3:00 pm – 5:30 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and from 1:15 pm – 5:30 pm on Wednesdays. After Care for Grades Kindergarten through 8th grade is held in the Parish Hall. During the times when the Parish Hall is unavailable for use another location, usually a classroom will be assigned and a note will be posted at the Parish Hall. Charges are billed monthly at $200 per child or $15 per day. Please advise the school office if your child will need to report to after care if he/she does not normally attend it.
Summer School Program
An academic program for students entering grades K-8 is tentatively scheduled for the summer of 2012. New incoming Kindergarten students will be required to attend summer school. The program would provide both improvement and enrichment for the students, especially in Language Arts, Reading/Literature, and Mathematics. More information would be available after Christmas Vacation.